Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review, had an opinion piece at Politico about Lee Harvey Oswald; Did the Tea Party Kill JFK? In it, he states that Oswald was a Communist and not part of the far right, thus he has no connection to the right wing in this country. His evidence;
- Oswald traveled to the Soviet Union
- He was a supporter of Fidel Castro
- He subscribed to Communist newspapers
- He tried to assassinate a right wing general
- He set up a front group that was pro-Cuba
There’s no doubt that Oswald wanted everyone to think he was a Communist, he went far out of his way to define himself as a radical leftist, but why? Here are a few pertinent facts that answers this question and explains why members of the right, like Lowry, try so hard to paint Oswald as a communist dupe and symp.
- Oswald’s favorite show growing up was I Led Three Lives, a drama based on a man infiltrating the Communist Party. It was based on one of the founders of the John Birch Society (JBS).
- Oswald’s nickname in high school was The Rebel, he considered himself a Southern Confederate.
- Oswald’s mother considered her son a hero for assassinating JFK. She boasted after the assassination, “My son has done more for his country than any other living human being.”
- Oswald’s father and brother were name Robert Lee, as in Robert E. Lee, a hero in the Oswald household.
- Oswald joined the Civil Air Patrol and the United States Marines, not exactly Communist institutions.
- Oswald was immortalized in a book by his friend in the Marines, Kerry Thornley, a member of the John Birch Society.
- Oswald planned his trip to the USSR from Orange County, CA, one of the most right wing places in the country and a stronghold of the JBS. Local police were heavily infiltrated by JBS and have admitted to sending recruits over to the USSR to act as spies.
- Oswald went to Minsk, home of the largest White Russian community in Russia, all fierce anti-Communists.
- Oswald mentor in Dallas was George De Mohrenschildt, a White Russian and far right extremist. Marina says Lee followed him around like a puppy dog.
- Oswald was wearing his Marine Corps ring when he shot JFK.
- Oswald shot the man who embodied the left in America. JFK was hated by the right wing, he was called a Communist and a traitor by the JBS.
- Almost all of the conspiracy theories about the JFK assassination arise from the JBS, starting with Revilo P. Oliver’s, Marksmanship in Dallas. Revilo was one of the founding members of the JBS.
It’s important to take a stand on Lee Harvey Oswald. The far right wants the issue to be confusing. They want to distance themselves from Oswald for obvious reasons. As you can see however, there’s a clear connection between Lee Harvey Oswald and the John Birch Society, the forerunner to the Tea Party. One shouldn’t let the cover story of an assassin determine a person’s conclusion as to who was really behind the assassination.